Sunday, June 3, 2007

Silent Spring by Rachel Carson

I've started reading Silent Spring by Rachel Carson as my first book for the Summer Reading Challenge. I'm also rereading The Highest Tide by Jim Lynch. I first read The Highest Tide in February and it was chosen as the May choice in my book group so I'm rereading it. It was the catalyst for my wanting to read Silent Spring as the young boy in the book is a huge fan of Rachel's.

I got my copy at the used bookstore in town and it is copyrighted 1962. What's quite frightening is that only 30 pages in, her topic is still so relevant - the devestation of our environment at the cost of man and the effects of DDT and other pesticides on our environment. I was very surprised to learn that she died of breast cancer.

I'm looking forward to reading more of Silent Spring. This Wednesday, I will be visiting here as part of United Way Day of Caring work crew to help get the place in shape for the 100th year anniversary of her birth. It's funny how life is such a series of connections isn't it?

No comments: