Friday, June 1, 2007

Finished Just in Time

Last night I finished The Mixquiahuala Letters by Ana Castillo just in time to start reading for the SRC 2. I saw this on BooksFree and the name and premise intrigued me - a story about the relationship between two Chicana women told through a series of letters. Each letter has a number and the author gives you three options for reading through them, leaving out some chapters, rearranging the order, etc. Being the type A person I am, I read them straight through which was not one of the options recommended by the author!

The back of the book states "Controversial and pioneering, The Mixquiahuala Letters is widely studied as a feminist text on the nature of self-conflict, and is considered an essential work of Chicana fiction". I'm not sure what I thought of it - sometimes I just like to read something different. The author is a poet and some of the letters are poems which was interesting. I'm glad I read it but I don't think I'd recommend it.

I had planned to start my summer reading with Rachel Carson's Silent Spring but I found The Road by Cormac McCarthy on the new book shelves at the library today so I am going to start that. Who knows, I may start both of them!

No comments: