Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A true story teller


Not long ago, some friends who read my blog emailed me to ask if I only read serious stuff based on what I have been posting about. The answer is no and this book is proof of that! I pretty much read anything that doesn't get out of my way and the only thing I don't read on a regular basis are sci-fi and westerns. Lately I've been reading a lot of fantasy/paranormal type romantic suspense/mystery paperbacks that I get through Books Free. I love this service because it saves me a ton of money and lets me try lots of different authors and genres and I can send the book back if I don't like it - without feeling guilty about how much money I spent and that I didn't read it!


I love reading series and one I've been reading is by Marjorie M. Liu. I just finished the third book in the series, Red Heart of Jade, and it was excellent. Ms. Liu is an amazing storyteller and she seems to be getting better with every book in this series. I know there are some out there who consider mass market paperbacks and romance type authors as inferior but they should get outside their boxes more! This was a very well crafted tale with great characterization, an exciting storyline and a very well crafted plot that did not fall down in the middle or end too quickly. I am finding so many of today's romance lacking a good plot/story line and authoers are filling in with lots of sex in the hopes that we readers won't notice. Now I don't mind a good sex scene but never at the expense of a good plot, fully formed characters and a quality product. Ms. Liu definitely delivers for me! Maybe you should get out of your box and try one of her books too!

5 comments:

maggie moran said...

Patti!!! You won some pecans!!! Please email me with your address. mmoran@northwestms.edu or magiejpl@hotmail.com

Andrew Clarke said...

If you like a good storyline and developed characters, may I suggest a novel to try? "Outcasts Of Skagaray" is a fantasy adventure with certain serious underlying themes. You can preview it by reading the sample chapters on www.threeswans.com.au By the way, I agree that sex instead of plot substance is silly, and insulting to the reader. My blog, if you feel like visiting, is http://threeswans.blogspot.com Best wishes, whatever happens.

Sharon said...

Thank you SOOOOO much for visiting my website and recommending the book, "The 36 Hour Day". I picked it up last week and read straight through it! It is very helpful to me in dealing with my Mom's dimentia. You have such a kind heart to reach out and help me - bless you!! :)

Ann Summerville said...

I stopped by your blog today.
Ann

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

Why else does a moth fly FROM the night
than to a bold, attractive candle Light??
Don’t let His extravagant brilliance be extinguished.
You’re creative, yes?
Then, fly-away with U.S. to the antidote…

Whether you obtain morality4mortality to wiseabove
or just glean tantalizing specimens for thy next best seller,
I realize my penname is quite morbid, yet,
you shall find in our blogs a lotta (subliminal) moxie
which has taken this sinfull mortal yeeeeers to compile:
I lay it ALL out for you, dear, with All-Star-Oxygems:

Wouldn’t ya love an endless eternity
of aplomBombs falling on thy indelible cranium?
An XtraXcitinXpose with no
zooillogical-expiration-date?
An IQ much higher than K2?
An extraordinarily, anti-establishment victory
with both sardonic, satirical wit Who’s savvy
and avant-guarde-humility??
Here’s what the exquisite, prolific GODy sed
(with a most-excellent-detector of bull§ht):

“Faith, hope, and love,
the greatest of these is love -
jump into faith...
and you'll see with love”
Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe (what I write);
God believes in you.

Meet me Upstairs, girl, where the Son never goes down
from a passionate, lucrative iconoclasm where you’ll find
nonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsX…
of deluxe-HTTP [<- pi] opportunities for excitement BTW.

Do it. Do the deed, dude.
‘Sign into the Big-Zaftig-House,’
sez the Rotund, Carnival Barker.
‘Step this Way…’