Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Progress Update

Well, I've finished Silent Spring by Rachel Carson which was quite a sobering book to read. It deals with the impact of pesticides and their effects on both nature and potentially people. The scarey thing is that it was written in the 60s and I wonder if we're not seeing the results of all those pesticides now.

As of July 1, I know of 6 people who have been diagnosed with cancer since Christmas. That is pretty frightening. I think Rachel Carson's message is as relevant today as it was 4o plus years ago and corresponds to all of the concern over global warming. We can't mess with nature and not expect to have something happen.

Now I'm on to As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner - my first Southern Reading Challenge book. I'm enjoying it so far.

1 comment:

maggie moran said...

Loved her book and I had one of the original copies, so it smelt and felt just great. The thing that bothers me, the rest of the world doesn't live by our restrictions. Canada is pretty conscience, but what about Mexico? Who's to say South America or India or Africa or China aren't using DDT?

When they finally banned it-what happen to the surplus? I'm sure greedy companies just found another buyer. Really sad. :P